Tofu is a food originated from China, and is made by coagulating soy milk. Tofu is low in calories, no saturated fat or cholesterol, and contain pretty high amount of iron. Besides, due to tofu is made by soy milk, it is high in protein as well. Thus, for those weight watchers, vegetarians, health conscious and dairy product intolerance people, tofu is always their good choice of food.
Tofu itself has very little flavor or smell. So it can be used to cook with any dishes or ingredients. However, also due to its blend taste, it is not easy to cook a nice, tasty tofu dish as well. In order to use tofu as main ingredient for the dish, one would need to be able to make the taste or essence of side ingredients to be blended into the tofu.
There are many different types of tofu in the market. One needs to choose the right tofu for right dish. For example, soft tofu is suitable for soup, dessert, and steaming, and firm tofu is more suitable for stir fry, or deep fried.
Here is one easy-to-follow Chinese tofu recipe
• 2 Chinese sausage (can get it from Asian market)
• 2 cakes medium firm tofu
• 1 spring onion, cut into 1 inch sections
• 1 red chili, thinly sliced
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon soy sauce
• 0.8 cup water
• 3 cup cooking oil
• 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
• Pinch of MSG
1. Put in the Chinese sausage into a steamer, steam for 12 minutes. Cut them diagonally into thin slices
2. Cut the tofu into 12 square pieces.
3. Heat up wok and cooking oil over medium heat. Fried tofu for 3 minutes until golden brown. Drain with paper towels and set aside
4. Heat wok and 1 teaspoon cooking oil. Stir fry spring onion and red chili for about 2 minutes. Add in salt, soy sauce, water and fried tofu. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat
5. Add in Chinese sausages and cornstarch mixture. Stir well until sauce is thickened
6. Ready to serve