About the Position: This position is located at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in the Director for Administration, Department of Nutrition Services. The work area is a hospital room service kitchen which prepares all meals to order. The position may cover early shifts from 5:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. or late shifts from 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Learn more about this agency
- Operate cash collection system for NSD using computerized/electronic point-of-sale (POS) and/or cash register system or use manual calculation methods when technology is unavailable or inoperable.
- Provide cashiering services to a variety of customers utilizing established procedures.
- Counts revenue collected after each meal service completed and completes appropriate forms documenting cash collected, change fund and discrepancies.
- Maintains security and responsibility for cash, change fund and an electronic cashier access card.
- Process credit card transactions for patient guest trays using the Cerner Smart Suite or similar computerized system and downloads into POS system.
- Provides food service support to the servery and dining room areas.
- Brew coffee according to the number of servings required.
- Sets up and serves cafeteria lines, steam-tables and side service stands with hot and cold food items.
- Prepares sandwiches, complex salads, cold platters, and a variety of beverages.
- Slice meats, cheeses, and like items.
- Checks or inspects food items for freshness, quantity and quality.
- Maintain work area in an orderly and sanitary condition and prepares and stores food in accordance with safe food handling procedures and established sanitation standards.
Conditions of Employment
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Tier 3 security investigation or access for the duration of employment. A background investigation and credit check are required.
- This position requires the incumbent to have tuberculosis testing.
- Appointment may require a suitability/fitness determination.
- This position has mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirements and is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations unless otherwise exempted for medical or religious reasons.
- This position requires the completion of a pre-employment Physical Examination and an annual examination thereafter to ensure the continued, required level of physical health and ability or fitness to perform the duties of the position.
- This position may require the incumbent to work on any day or shift, including PMs, nights, weekends, holidays, or on an “on call” basis, necessary to meet mission requirements.
- This position has been designated Mission Essential. In the event of severe weather conditions or emergency situations (natural or man-made) the incumbent is required to report as scheduled or remain at work to support mission operations.
Who May Apply: US Citizens
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no specific length of training or experience required. However, you must be able to demonstrate, through experience shown in your written application materials that you possess the sufficient knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the work of this position without more than normal supervision.
Minimum Qualifications (Screen Out Element): Ability to do the work of an Food Service Worker without more than normal supervision. I have the ability to perform common Food Service Worker duties. I can verify meal cards by checking for expiration dates and validity of card; operating, maintaining, and restocking dining room beverage islands; preparing sandwiches, complex salads, cold platters, and a variety of beverages; receiving, storing, and securing all supplies and food items as required; breaking down and cleaning assigned areas when the meal is finished, and returning food to the main kitchen. I work under normal supervision of a work leader or journey-level employee who observes tasks in progress and upon completion to make sure they are properly performed. – Failure to meet this Screen out Element will result in an ineligible rating.
- Ability To Do The Work Of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specification, etc.
- Ability To Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
- Dexterity and Safety
- Food Service
- Knowledge of Materials
- Work Practices
- Physical effort: The worker is subject to continuous standing and walking, and frequent stooping, reaching, pushing, pulling, and bending. The worker may be required to work on ladders and perform heavy work such as scouring and scrubbing large-size cooking utensils and moving heavy carts and trucks in unloading, storing, and delivering supplies. They frequently lift or move objects weighing up to 40 pounds. The heavier items (over 44 pounds) are moved with assistance from other workers.
- Working Conditions: The work is performed in the kitchen area where steam and heat from cooking and dishwashing equipment often cause uncomfortably high temperatures and humidity. The work area is well lighted but usually noisy from food service activities, and there is danger of slipping on floors where food or beverages have been dropped. The worker is regularly exposed to hot liquids, sharp cutting blades, hot working surfaces, and extreme temperature changes when entering walk-in refrigeration or freezing units.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- You may claim military spouse preference (MSP).
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM’s Career Transition Resources website .
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application .
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume .
2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person’s personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.