Hippie Hash is the best breakfast hash you’ve (probably) never heard of. Made with a colorful combination of veggies and topped with feta cheese, this delicious breakfast dish is bursting with flavor in every bite. Top with a poached egg and fall in love!
164 CALORIES29g CARBS4g FAT5g PROTEIN
Hippie Hash (The Best Veggie Hash) Recipe
If you have never heard of hippie hash, don’t worry—you’re not alone. Up until my wonderful friend whipped up a batch for a group of our friends at a recent get-together, I had never heard of it either. After trying my first bite, I was immediately sold. Hippie hash is incredible!
This quick and easy breakfast dish is made with shredded hash brown potatoes, the vegetables of your choice, and a handful of feta cheese to top it all off.
It’s ready from start to finish in under 20 minutes and is crazy delicious. Because this dish is so versatile, there are tons of ways to spice it up.
I love topping my hippie hash with a poached egg, fresh avocado, or even a drizzle of creamy chipotle sauce for a little kick.
Whether you’re serving breakfast for dinner or hosting a Sunday brunch, this vegetarian breakfast hash is the ultimate healthy breakfast to serve to a large group.
Leave it vegetarian or toss in some bacon or sausage crumbles to add some flavor. Don’t just take my word for it—try out this hippie hash for yourself and let me know what you think!
What You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need to make the best hippie hash you’ve ever had.
- Hash Brown Potatoes: You can find shredded hash brown potatoes in the frozen food aisle of most grocery stores. If you can’t find any, you could also use diced potatoes or sweet potatoes instead.
- Fresh Vegetables: You will need zucchini, red bell pepper, broccoli, minced garlic, mushrooms, and red onion. However, you can swap these for any other veggies of your choice based on what you have at home.
- Feta Cheese: I absolutely love topping off this dish with a handful of tangy feta cheese for a burst of extra flavor. It’s delicious!
- Spices: The only spices you will need are salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes if you want a little touch of heat. Nice and simple.
- Olive Oil: You’ll need just a small amount of oil to sauté your veggies. I typically use high-quality olive oil, but avocado oil or grapeseed oil would also work fine.
Hippie Hash Tips and Tricks
If you’ve never made hippie hash before (or any breakfast hash, for that matter), don’t fret! Here are some of my top tips and tricks to ensure delicious results:
- Breakfast hash tastes best when it’s served right away, but you can easily store it for later if needed. Let it cool, then transfer the dish to an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. Alternatively, you could freeze this dish for up to 2-3 months.
- Feel free to switch up the veggies however you like depending on what you have at home. This is a great clean out the fridge meal! Some other good veggies for breakfast hash include corn, cherry tomatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, kale, and spinach.
- If you don’t have shredded hash brown potatoes, feel free to use diced Yukon gold potatoes. Just make sure to dice them small and keep them relatively the same in size. You can peel them first or leave the skins on—totally up to you.
- Serve this dish on its own (it’s super satisfying!) or pair it with a light side dish like fresh fruit, scrambled egg whites, or turkey bacon. You also can’t go wrong with a nice cup of hot coffee or tea on the side.
Looking for ways to customize this dish and make it your own? Here are some fun (and delicious) variations to try out:
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash: Try swapping out the hash brown potatoes for cubed sweet potatoes to switch up the textures and flavor profile. This is another sweet potato hash we love.
- Vegan Breakfast Hash: Instantly make a delicious vegan hash by leaving out the feta cheese or swapping it for a dairy-free alternative.
- High-Protein Breakfast Hash: Amp up the protein in this crave-worthy breakfast dish by adding chopped bacon, crumbled sausage, or black beans.
- Mexican Breakfast Hash: Transform this dish into the best Mexican-inspired brunch dish by adding black beans and corn. Garnish with sliced jalapenos, salsa, and fresh cilantro.
- Nutrient-Dense Breakfast Hash: For an extra nutritious breakfast hash, toss in some fresh leafy greens like spinach or kale. As an added bonus, these veggies make this colorful dish even more vibrant!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this hippie hash recipe:
What is hippie hash?
Hippie Hash originated at the Fleetwood Diner near the University of Michigan. It’s basically a veggie-packed breakfast hash that gets topped with a heap of feta cheese just before being served. This vegetarian breakfast dish is warm, hearty, and packed with incredible flavors.
Can I make this dish vegan?
Absolutely! To make this breakfast hash vegan, all you have to do is leave out the feta cheese. If you want to beef it up for a more filling meal, feel free to add some of your favorite plant-based sausage crumbles or black beans.
What are the best toppings for breakfast hash?
I love topping my hippie hash with cracked black pepper, fresh herbs like chives or parsley, and a drizzle of hot sauce when I’m in the mood for some heat. Some more great options for toppings include fresh avocado, a dollop of salsa or sour cream, and a poached egg. Don’t be afraid to get creative—the options are endless!