If you are a new pet owner, chances are you are looking for quality pet supplies, pet medications, vet care and pet food. As per the American Pet Products Association statistics (gathered from various market research sources), Americans spent a total of $10.41 billion on supplies and over-the-counter medicines in 2010. Statistics also suggest that despite the 2008-2009 recession, pet owners continued to spend on these supplies, albeit frugally.
Types of Pet Supplies
While there are different types of pets, pet supplies range from those for dogs, cats, birds and reptiles. Here are some:
- Dog supplies: The variety in dog supplies is huge, ranging from beds to food and medications. Different dog breeds and sizes have different attitude, and may take to new things differently. For instance, new dogs and puppies are best kept in a crate until it learns the new house rules. Dogs that are difficult to train and are often curious will benefit from having lots of toys, including plush baby toy, collar bones, rubber horse shoe and flight pals, to keep them busy.
- Cat supplies: As cats are naturally clean, they are the easiest to keep. The huge varieties in cat toys, which include cat furniture and litter boxes, are used to keep them healthy and happy.
- Birds: Caged birds should be interacted with often and should have lots of toys within the cage. For instance, perches, swings, towers and ladders are good attachments for exercising.
- Reptiles: If you have amphibians or reptiles as pets, it is important to keep them in a place from where they cannot escape, and can enjoy themselves. However, keep them away from crowds, as reptiles are reclusive animals.
- Others: If you have fish as pets, you must keep the aquarium clean so that the fish do not die. Fish usually require a temperature of around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also install an aquarium heater to maintain the water temperature and also add decorations to beautify it. If you have reptiles as pets, you can purchase a cage, terrarium, beddings and substrate and only optimal lighting.
How to Purchase Pet Supplies at Discount Prices
The best way to purchase quality pet supplies affordably is to shop online, rather than visit a retail store. Here are some tips to purchase them:
- Online sites do not have overhead expenses, such as storefront building expenses, advertising costs and employee expenses. Hence, it results in savings, which are passed on to customers as discount prices.
- Read product reviews at popular sites. For instance, if you are looking to buy toys for your pets, read about other people’s experiences with these toys and purchase the ones that best suit your requirements.
As online pet supplies stores are usually owned by professionals, they also offer free expert suggestions. Besides, pet owners can also compare prices, purchase supplies anytime and get client support round-the-clock.